Sunday 27 September 2009

Concept Art - Machine insects.

I don't know when this is meant to be in for, but I remember hearing we have to post this stuff up, show our references and all that kind of thing, so I thought I may as well get this done and out the way.





Thing 1. Helicopter/Fly/Plane

This thing was based off a dragonfly and a beatle (the big flat piece of metal below the fly wings would come up and cover or shield the wings sort of like a beetle. I didn't have them up because I wanted to show the wings), which I merged with an old propeller plane and an apache helicopter.

I gave it some crazy insecty fingers which feed things onto it's propeller - I don't know why it would want to do that, but yeah, I never really planned this one out in my head at all.

The legs were influenced by insect shapes whilst still looking like mechanical feet.

The thing popping up at the back are insect eyes on the front of a jet engine. Again, don't ask me why, I wouldn't know. xD





Thing 2. Jet Fighter/Beatle

This one is drawn from a birds eye view.

I started with the shape of a beetle. I added some jet fighter air scoops onto it's back, and some jet engine nozzles.

The neck was turned into a cockpit, and Su-47 style forward swept wings were added.

It would stand on feet or legs.

I wanted to keep this one simple because it would look more streamlined, and so I could concentrate on the shading.




Thing 3. Crab/Mantis/Tank/Jetpack

I started with a segmented spine sort of thing with big claws, a jetpack, an engine for a heart and chrome pipe ribs. Then I did a jaw with 4 antennas on it and then a head based off of a praying mantis. For walking, I gave it caterpillar tracks from a tank and 2 long insect legs for walking and balance.




For reference on all these, I pasted a load of reference images into paint so that I had all my references in one place. Blogger doesn't want to upload the file, probably cos it's massive.

I dunno why the pictures are smaller than the last posts either. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment